An inchie is a 1 x 1 inch piece of artwork. As long as it’s an inch squared, you can use any media you like to make it, including paper, fabric, wood, metal…the list goes on! A favorite for mixed media artists seems to be the collaged inchie, with a combination of words and images making up the artwork.
Inchies have become popular in recent years because they are quick and inexpensive to make, easy to transport and store, and appeal to those who like miniature/small things (like me!). You can create inchies that feature your pets, your children, stickers or pictures from magazines or the internet. Then, create mosaics, decorate your art journal, make magnets, gift card tags, greeting cards, photo cubes, charms, and more. Many people love to TRADE their inchies too... which is a fun way to incorporate new and unique art into your journal.
Some Supplies that we can use for this project:
- Background Paper
- Images (photos, paper cut outs, printed images)
- Words or letters (Tim Holtz work great)
- 1” pattern or punch (if you don't have one, we can easily make one)
- Rubber stamps/ink pads
- Gel pens
- Fine point markers
- Acrylic paints
- Fancy edge scissors
- Rhinestones, buttons, beads, brads or other 3-D embellishments
- Decorative punches
- Sealant: spray fixative OR matte medium OR Modpodge/decoupage